Gudi Padwa

Hi! In today's blog post I am going to write how I celebrate Gudi Padwa with my family, I know many of you'll celebrate Gudi Padwa but I wanted to make this post about Marathi New year.


 Gudi Padwa is Marathi new year, I myself am a maharashtrian and love Gudi Padwa.


At first I get up early in the morning to wake up to my grandma playing old marathi songs in her room and making my morning cheerful.

Then I do the needful like brushing my teeth and going to shower.

After that I walk through the passage with my wet hair dripping on the floor and glancing through every room, I see my grandma making Puran Polis (flat bread filled with Gram flour mixed with jaggery) with her hair tied in a bun tied in her towel that looks like it will soon come off, she smiles and says good morning to me.

I come into the hall to see my dad sitting on the sofa drinking tea and saying good morning to me, I soon go and hug him, he then complains that I need to dry my hair as his shirt is soaking.

I run back in the room to dry my hair and see my mom coming out of the bath room and give her a hug.

I drink my tea with maybe some biscuits and change into traditional wear.

I put some earrings on, brush my hair, and head into the hall to hoist the Gudi (flag).

I see my dad in a Kurta (native dress for men in Maharashtrian culture) with a diamond ring, my mom in a beautiful cotton Nauvari Saree(Native dress for women in Maharashtrian culture) bangles with diamonds embedded on them, and bright earrings that glistened like the sea when the sun sets.

Everyone gathers around the balcony, my paternal and maternal grandparents wearing native dresses and beautiful jewellery, my sister, and my parents.

My dad steps forward to hoist the Gudi(flag) and my mom tells him to be careful, when the Gudi is hoisted my grandma puts Haldi Kunku(Turmeric and Vermilion powder) on the 'Kalash' (A copper/silver auspicious vessel)and offers Puja(Prayers) to the Gudi(flag), the sugar garland looks tempting, but I will not eat it because the puran poli(Flat bread filled with Gram flour mixed with Jaggery) is waiting for me.

We pray for all the good things in life and show gratitude towards everything.

After all the prayers we go to the dining table and eat Puran Poli with 'Kataa chi aamti' (spicy gravy) for lunch, 'Kataa chi aamti' is not very popular, but should be, it's savory but blends in with the sweetness of the puran (gram mixture) well, the first bite of the puran poli and the last, tastes heavenly, the moment the poli went in my mouth, I could taste the spicyness of the aamti(Gravy) and felt like I needed water, but then, the puran came into action, it cooled my taste buds, and suddenly I didn't need water, the sweet puran melted and felt heavenly, I don't know how to explain it in writing. 

After visiting heaven we relax, sit on the sofa, maybe watch some Tv, and eat Shrikhand(Indian sweet dish made of strained curd),  we also ate Shrikhand for lunch, but there's no such thing as 'too much Shrikhand'.

And then after a great and satisfying feast, we feel extremely sleepy, I don't know what there is in Puran Poli and Shrikhand(Indian sweet dish made of strained curd) that makes us sleepy.

I can't sleep right after lunch so I take a few walks around the house and then sleep.

After getting up from sleep I do what I do every evening, so I'll not write it in this post, if you want to see that than you can go back to the post ' a normal day in my life'

That's it for today!

I hope you liked it!

Sorry for actually not uploading on Gudi Padwa.

Subscribe for more posts!

Au Revoir!


Comments

Popular Posts